* The first session on March 2, 1946, at the Hanoi Opera House
- The National Assembly recognised:
+ The list of members of the Resistance Coalition Government, led by President Ho Chi Minh
+ The list of members of the Resistance Committee, chaired by Vo Nguyen Giap
+ The list of the national advisory board, led by Supreme Advisor Vinh Thuy (former Emperor Bao Dai)
- The National Assembly elected:
+ The National Assembly Standing Committee, led by Nguyen Van To
+ The 11-member Constitution Drafting Committee
* The second session from October 28 to November 9, 1946:
- The National Assembly elected its 18-member Standing Committee, led by Bui Bang Doan
- The National Assembly adopted the 1946 Constitution
* The fifth session from September 15 to 20, 1955:
- The National Assembly set up the guidelines and principles for the struggle for the implementation of the Geneva Accords and for the national reunification on the basis of independence and democracy, along with orientations and solutions for recovering the economy and consolidating the north to serve as the base for the struggle for national peace and reunification.
- The National Assembly made decisions on some issues related to the State apparatus, the national flag, the national anthem, and the national emblem.
- The National Assembly elected Ton Duc Thang as Chairman of its Standing Committee.
* The 11th session on December 18, 1959:
- The National Assembly adopted the 1959 Constitution.
The first tenure lasted from January 1946 to May 1960 with 12 sessions.