* First session in Hanoi from June 24 - July 3, 1976
- The National Assembly elected:
+ State President: Ton Duc Thang (until April 1980); Acting State President Nguyen Huu Tho (from April 1980 to July 1981)
+ Vice President: Nguyen Luong Bang, Nguyen Huu Tho
+ National Assembly Standing Committee: 21 full and 2 alternate members
+ National Assembly Chairman: Truong Chinh
+ Prime Minister: Pham Van Dong
+ Chief Justice of the Supreme People’s Court: Pham Van Bach
+ Prosecutor General of the Supreme People’s Procuracy: Tran Huu Duc
- The National Assembly formed the: Planning-Budget Committee; Law-Building Committee; Committee on Ethnic Affairs; Committee on Culture-Education; Committee on Health-Social Affairs; Committee on External Affairs.
- The National Assembly passed: + A resolution on country’s name, national flag, national emblem, capital, and national anthem of the unified Vietnam. The Socialist Republic of Vietnam was taken as the country’s
+ A resolution on the official renaming of Saigon-Gia Dinh into Ho Chi Minh City.
* On December 18, 1980, at the seventh session (from December 12-26, 1980), the National Assembly passed the Law on the Election of National Assembly Deputies and the new Constitution - the 1980 Constitution.
The sixth National Assembly lasted for five years from 1976-1981, with seven sessions.